Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I am quite tired from today.  I'll start with the earthquake first.  I was in the hall on the 3rd floor of the Molecular Science Building reading the newspaper.  The earthquake began and I immediately thought, "oh boy, I'm not in the mood for an earthquake," and continued reading my newspaper.  Afterwards, I texted a few people then went to lunch with a professor at the faculty club.  My food was quite good and even better considering that it was paid for.  I later took a nap outside before my meeting with the dean of research  I was still tired but for some reason he talked VERY LOUD!  I wanted to tell him to calm down.  In the course of our talking, I remarked that research could be done on the use of parasites/viruses as potential vectors for somatic cells or cells of a specific type of tissue.  Surprisingly, he shot down my remark by saying it was more than a stretch: it was a huge 'leap of faith'.  I'm not one to throw out dumb ideas.  I admit that I come up with the hard questions and the hard research projects, but that's part of who I am.  I'm not a lame biologist or simple medical student that does the EXACT research as everyone else.  So I had to correct the dean of research.  There's quite a bit of weight in everything I say.  I told him my idea wasn't a 'leap of faith'.  90% of all types of cancers develop in epithelial cells.  And there are parasites/viruses that are specific types of tissues.  It would be arrogant for someone to think there isn't  a parasite/virus that is specific to epithelial cells.  I stopped there since I was in his office and he was the dean of research.  But I could've gone further and mention studies I know of and a professor I know at Cal Tech that is looking at a specific virus for targeted gene insertion/deletion.  Oh well, perhaps I just have too high expectations for people in higher positions.  It was a 'leap of faith' for me to expect the dean of research to not only know of perhaps the largest problem in genetics and the applicability of parasites/viruses.

Enough of that, voy a tocar mi guitarra.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you should learn the One Semester of Spanish Spanish Loves Song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngRq82c8Baw